Monday, August 20, 2012

I really hope this has something to do with the story...



Working at a bookstore, it's great fun to see the books that people special order. Often they are bestsellers from years back; sometimes they are obscure or hard to find titles; and, occasionally, they are kids titles that make me nostalgic.

And, every once in a while, they have terrifying covers like the one to the right.

I've never read any Trixie Belden books, but I think if I owned this one as a kid, I would have hidden it in the attic. Why is Trixie wearing a severed head on her hand like a puppet? I always suspected Nancy Drew had a bit of a dark side, but Trixie, you're, like, twelve years old! In all seriousness though, I probably would have read the book just to figure out what the heck was going on. I am always fascinated by book cover art. I'm particularily interested in the differences between the US/Canadian/UK versions of books. Or when a book wins a medal and they change the cover to supposedly appeal to the masses. Case in point: Shannon Hale books. The original cover (illustrated one) for Princess Academy is so much more representative of the story,  in my opinion. What do you think?   

 -Erica

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails