Friday, October 2, 2009

Poll Time *Paper Towns* by John Green









Here's what I wrote on Goodreads.com about Paper Towns in September 2008:

I was impossibly psyched to read this book...and I didn't like it. Which was confusing as I have loved all things John Green. It wasn't anything in particular that I couldn't handle, it was just the book as a whole. I really dislike the cover(s), which did not faze me when I started reading. I am going to try this one again in October (pub date)and see how it is a second time.

Brutal! I never got around to picking it up again. And just yesterday we recieved the paperback edition, with it's huge pin. I'm still not a huge fan of either yellow or blue cover. I really DO want to give this book a proper reading soon. I mean, John Green? The man is amazing. I have his new book which will be published in the Spring, Will Grayson Will Grayson (Co-written with David Levithan), and it looks shiny and awesome.

The premise for Paper Towns is pretty cool, though. Margo is the girl next door, but also a very mysterious and possibly dangerous girl. She sneaks out at night with weird missions, hauling her smitten neighbour with her, Quentin. Margo sounds a little like Alaska from Looking for Alaska: this girl with a wildness to her, like she could do anything at any time. Then when Margo disappears after a long night of strange errands, Quentin searches for the answers.

I loved Looking for Alaska and An Abundance of Katharines, so I should really give a proper read to Paper Towns.

Mandy

3 comments:

Nina said...

I like the second one, the yellow cover. The title, i don't know. I think i have to read it, so I can understand it. :)

Unknown said...

It's so disappointing when a book we think we should love turns out to be a dud. Especially if everyone else seems to love it too. Plus it always makes me feel like maybe I am just weird or wrong or missing something really important. But I wonder how much of it has to do with pressure we put on ourselves to love it, to appreciate it as much as everyone else seems to? I think re-reads are totally worthwhile in these cases, but it's best (in my case) to leave some space.

btw, I like the pushpin, I think. I think the first two covers are a cool concept, but I think I'd be too depressed to pick up the blue one.

Jon Johnson said...

Gotta go pin. And tilt-shift style photography. Though the girl is cute, there's more style to the pin, and the lack of the whole photograph of a girl and her image super-imposing over what your own idea of what the character would look like thing.

I'm still looking forward to reading this though. Loved Alaska, liked Catherines.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails