Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Welcome, Gentle Reader, Into Our Bookstore!

I grabbed the camera after an author event we had in the store with Jamie Bastedo (more pics to come!) and went a little silly.



Here is our Teen Fiction section. Now, this isn't our YA or Junior Reader section, oh no, this is an entire casing full of fiction that older teens/incredibly hip adults would love. It's at the front of the store, under my watchful and nurturing eye (a nurturing eye, you ask?). It is also at the start of our fiction section--so a cherry spot. One time it was suggested that we cut back a few shelves in this section to make way for "adult" fiction and I think I made a surprising and possibly dangerous snarling noise from way back in my throat.
In the left-hand picture, at the very front, there's this plastic turn-style that says Modern Classics and I have STOLEN it for my own teen-y purposes.




AND! At the front of the store we have a general table where lives miscellaneous titles, usually adult. But, peer closely into the top right of the picture...




And I've snuck some of my favourite titles in there! And even a makeshift taping-bookmarks-around-the-title-to-create-a-display display!




And look, I love writing little notes on the books to let people know how great these titles are! I have a ton of little notes all over the store. I even cut out little pictures of the covers to glue beside the words. I feel it makes it that much more special.

Next time, I'll show you our YA section, which has a lot of crossover titles with our teen section!

13 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

O
I love these pictures.
Thanks for sharing.
So way cool.

Bleuette said...

Great Pictures! Thanks for sharing!:)

http://fantasysink.blogspot.com/

Clare said...

I love this section, Mandy, you know I do. My beef is that people assume YA is for younger kids. YA was invented for teens because (apparently) they don't like being called teens. Now for my YA section at Eden Mills I get pitched books for 12-yr-olds all the time, when what I really want is books from your teen section. I suppose ultimately this supports the idea of no labels!

Donna Gambale said...

Looks great! I can't wait to see more. And I love personalized staff recommendations in bookstores.

Noella said...

Wow, I'd love to visit this bookstore to read the notes you attached and the range of awesome books!

Unknown said...

I should warn anyone who hasn't seen those shelves in person that they are VERY DANGEROUS even to those who thought they could resist buying new books unread. There is a copy of The Choir Boats on the bottom shelf that is still crying to me in my dreams since I caved and bought Graceling instead (from the spinner, incidentally, which is even more dangerous than the shelves). I may have to bring it home just to make it feel better.

By the way, your reaction to making way for adult fiction? Caused me to snort tea up my nose just now. But it was worth it.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could go to your bookstore. It looks so cute and cozy! I love how you put your little notes on books you've enjoyed throughout the store! I went to a book store with a friend from work yesterday and I totally made her get Hush, Hush. I'm a big Hush, Hush pusher. LOL

Mandy (Edge of Seventeen) said...

Juju: Thanks as always, sweetie!

Clare: Totally. I also have a problem with the assumption that books in any section labelled teen or YA = not for adults. It is too too bad. I think I'll write a whole blog entry about it.

Donna: I know! I love writing notes on books for people to find!

Kiirstin: Behind these very shelves is a twirling hypnotic device that whispers "you need one of each..." Even I can't resist!

Vixen: I'm a total Hush Hush pusher too!

Unknown said...

I am so glad that you point out that good teen and YA fiction will interest adult readers as well. I mean, I devoured the Harry Potter series and have reread it numerous times and I'm old as people go. Your readers may enjoy my new release, Angela 1: Starting Over. If interested in finding out more, just click on my name and follow the link to my web site. You can also google my name (make sure it has the middle initial in it) and check out my blog. Thanks!

Cecelia said...

What fun! I love the pictures and your proprietary anecdotes. Where IS your bookstore, by the way? I want to visit someday...

Mandy (Edge of Seventeen) said...

Celi.a: It's in Waterloo, Ontario. Here's the link to google maps: http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Use street view (click and drag the little orange guy to the A marker) to see the outside of the store. You might have to click around a little to see it on the street but it's the one with the big sign saying Words Worth Books!!

Marge in WA, USA said...

Love the pictures Mandy! Your displays are awesome, and I recognize so many titles because of your cool reviews. Keep up the good work!! Someday hopefully I'll make my way across this continent to visit. :-)

Katie said...

I love getting to look in your bookshop! It's adorable and I fully support sneaking YA books onto the adult book displays.

So awesome.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails