Friday, October 2, 2009

In My Mailbox This Week

This week I received a few cool items in my mailbox. Such as:

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins. This one is out in March and no cover art has been released to give us an idea of the story. My copy is white with black neo-gothic "Hex Hall" on the front. It is going to be available in March (so long!) and the author, Rachel Hawkins, has already written and submitted the sequel, Hex Hall 2: The Joy of Hex. "yeah. I went there" Rachel wrote on her blog. Holy Cow that is quick, I mean this book is not even released yet. It also seems like it will be funnier than initially thought. It has a going-to-Hogwarts vibe, a girl discovering she's a witch from her father's side, vampires, ghosts, a hot Warlock, a secret society. But on goodreads.com people are already reading the galley and saying it's hilarious. I'm pretty intrigued. I can't even post a picture of the galley copy I have, there is no visual info on this book online.

The Heights by Brian James. I saw this one in a catalogue and was all like "ehn!", while making grasping-air fingers (think spirit fingers/jazz hands but slower and with just a hint of "my precious"). The Heights is a modern re-telling of Wuthering Heights. Yes Please! I would recount the premise written on the inside cover but it is just Wuthering Heights. Except Heathcliff is now named Henry. I can't even wait to read this one. I must know how it is done! The author wrote Zombie Blondes, which I haven't read but a lot of bloggers really liked. The cover of The Heights is thick and textured and it wraps around the back in sworls. It also says, "A contemporary imagining of Wuthering Heights".

Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers. This one is out in January. It looks like a bullying, popular girls vs. the loner book. Regina used to be part of the in group but was suddenly kicked out after rumors about her spread. Something about her and her friend's boyfriend maybe hooking up. The "wronged" group is out for communal revenge and Regina tries to find companionship in some of the people she used to bully. A back cover blurb says "taut with tension". Sounds cool.

Invisible I: The Amanda Project (Book One) by Stella Lennon. Has anyone read this book? It just came out for an early October release. I've never heard anything about it. But it looks good. There are all these illustrations inside of vines and birds, very attractive. There's also an online component where you can login and write your own stories and post theories about the central mystery in the book. Kind of like 39 Clues? The premise on the back is super simple: a friend has gone missing and while looking for her, the group realizes she was not the person they thought she was. Sounds like Pretty Little Liars. It's also going to be an eight book series. The back also claims that, "The Amanda Project is more than a new series plus a website--it's the evolution of fiction for girls". That's quite the claim, but it has MY interest.


Some other things that have gone down this week at Edge of Seventeen:


Mandy
In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren.

10 comments:

Briana said...

Briana over at BAM Book Reviews read invisible i, but I dont think she has yet to review it. Im sure you could email her and ask her questions if ya need to! :)

Great books! I really want to read Some Girls Are.

-Arielle

ReggieWrites said...

You got SGA! YAY! Me and the main character have the same name :-) Hope you have fun reading it :-)

Katie said...

Wow those are some awesome books. I really want to read Hex Hall and Some Girls Are. Enjoy!

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

WOW!! Hex Hall, can't wait 4 that one. enjoy your books :D

Katie said...

I got "Invisible I" too this week! It does look a bit like a Pretty Little Liars-39 Clues hybrid. But interesting enough, ha!

Lauren said...

The Heights sounds really intriguing, I don't think I'd heard of that before.

YA Book Queen said...

Awesome books! The Heights looks interesting, and hex hall!

happy reading!

prophecygirl said...

Hex Hall and Some Girls Are - wow! Hope you enjoy both :)

Rebecca said...

Awesome books you got this week. They all look really good. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Something about the 1st cover draws me in.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails