Thursday, October 22, 2009

What's Been Said About *Lament* by Maggie Stiefvater?

I have read and loved Shiver by Maggie and have been hearing some great things about Lament, the first book in her Books of Faerie series. Ballad is the sequel and it was just published October 1st.

Here are quotes from the reviews I've been reading:

Maggie Stievater has done something to me. Something good. She’s taken me prisoner in this world she’s created full of magic, mystery and intrigue. Maggie’s first book LAMENT is a story of a talented young girl whose harp talent is mesmerizing and enchanting. When a strange and mysterious Luke Dillon approaches her to play together at a competition Deidre’s world is then swiftly unwound and she is then thrust into a world full of folklore and magic and her place in this world is quickly realized... from Reverie Book Reviews

Although the fey are somewhat common in literature, I loved Stiefvater’s take! I also enjoyed the musical element that was displayed throughout the novel, it added so much to the novel. The plot itself was paced well and was thoroughly engaging! I had a very hard time putting this book down, even when I really needed to!! Lament has a little bit of everything; suspense, romance, intrigue, and action. The bittersweet ending will leave you yearning for more. Watch out Melissa Marr and Holly Black, there is a new faerie Queen in town!... from The Story Siren

Where to begin? Faeries, an assassin, telekinesis, a love triangle so good that I couldn't decide which couple to root for (though I do feel myself leaning in a very definite direction), prose with a rhythm and cadence and dreamlike quality that fit the chock-full of Celtic folklore storyline but that still felt that it fit in the here and now, a heroine who is bright and likable and who, though she is attracted to a beautiful boy, doesn't lose her own self because of it (*cough* Bella Swan *cough*). Lament is very definitely a must-read for fans of Melissa Marr and other stories about the dark and dangerous side of Faerie... from Bookshelves of Doom

Wow, I'm pretty excited about this one! I can't decide which cover I like the best. I love the texture of the bottom cover art, it looks like the texture of tombstones to me and adds this crypt-like tone.
Has anyone else written a review of Lament? Send me the link in the comments field. Alternately, leave your review in the comments if you don't have a blog. I'd love to read more about this book.
Sometimes it's like that for me; getting really excited to read a story after hearing so much about it. It casts this magic about a book that I just love.
Mandy

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I am grumpy because our library doesn't have this book. I have asked for it to be ordered, but so far no movement. I do believe the plan was to order Shiver and my expectation is that this book will become more popular once our patrons start reading Shiver... but I can't wait that long! KPL doesn't have it either. Grump.

Tales of Whimsy said...

OMG
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Lament! Her story and writing style are so mesmerizing. Enjoy!

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Lament was DEFINITELY good, but I just didn't love it as much as Shiver. But Shiver was completely, absolutely AWESOME.
And congrats on 100 followers! You deserve them. :)

Donna Gambale said...

One of the other writers on my blog just did reviews for both Lament and Ballad. I haven't read either, but I keep hearing how amazing they are! I have Lament sitting on my bookshelf, taunting me. Maggie is such a talented writer - I LOVED Shiver. I'm usually not a fan of books about fairies/faeries, but I trust her to do it well!

Carla said...

I LOVE Maggie. She is such an amazing author. I haven't wrote a review for Lament, but I did do one for Ballad which i the companion novel. As you can tell from my username, I Love Sam from Shiver, he is such a cutie.

I've spoken to her on online chats and through the fan forum I run for her and she is so sweet and very very humble. The stories she weaves in Lament and Ballad are mesmorising. Out of the two I prefer Ballad, but I would definately start with Lament. As for the covers, I prefer the UK one because it matches the Ballad cover and i'm kind of big on that stuff.

See, word of warning, mention Maggie and I cant stop going on with my little self, i cant control it.

Have fun reading, I cant wait to see what you think. Hey i'm doing a live chat with Maggie in Jan, I shall let you know closer to the time and date and you should come, have a gossip about the books.

Mandy said...

Kiirstin: I have a similar frustration when I order books into the store and they don't sell within a 6 month period and they have to be returned. It hurts my heart. Yesterday I saw a copy of Sweetblood by Pete Hautman go back *cue knife in my back*

Juju: Awesome! I will totally read this book now!

Jenn: Hey, thanks. :) I also really liked Shiver. Can't wait for the sequel. I think it's out next September-ish. I could confirm that.

Donna: I am also not a huge fairy lover. I prefer mermaids. Which I guess is possibly technically a type of fairy. But I can't believe the beautiful music the author has written to accompany Lament. So much care, I have to read it.

LovesSam: Hey thanks for the heads up! Please do let me know, or I can e-mail you about the live chat. I'd love to be a part of it. Thanks!!

Katie said...

Haven't written my review yet (I'm like...twenty reviews in the hole, yikes), but I *loved* "Lament" and "Ballad." I read them both this weekend and they are great YA fantasy.

You'll love 'em.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails